An accident is often a stressful and overwhelming situation, especially if anyone has sustained any injuries. However, it is important to remember to follow some steps in the aftermath of such an unfortunate incident. Here are some tips you should keep in mind if you are ever involved in an accident.
- Do not leave the scene. Leaving the scene of an accident can lead to serious criminal penalties, so do not leave until it is appropriate to do so. Otherwise, you may be considered a hit-and-run driver.
- Check if anyone is hurt. Before checking out the damage on your vehicle, check on all other drivers and passengers involved to see if they are in need of any medical assistance. If anyone is suffering from neck or back pain, or is unconscious, do not move them until qualified medical assistance arrives.
- Call the police. Even if no one is seriously injured, calling the police is important since the report they file will be crucial for when you report the accident to your insurance company. When they arrive at the scene, ask for their names and badge numbers.
- Exchange information. This will likely be included in the police report, but you may still want to acquire the names, numbers, addresses, drivers’ license numbers, and license plate numbers of all drivers involved in case any of it is missing from the report. Obtain the names of passengers, as well as their numbers and addresses, if possible.
- Talk to witnesses. If there were any witnesses at the scene, ask them what they saw and try to get their names and numbers as well.
- Take pictures. Nowadays, most people have a cell phone that is equipped with the ability to take pictures. Use it to take pictures of any damages and injuries.
- Inform your insurance company. As soon as you are able to, report the accident to your insurance company and provide a copy of the police report.
The Morristown personal injury attorneys at The Terry Law Firm can fight to hold any at-fault parties responsible for injuries you sustained in a car accident. With a vast wealth of knowledge and experience working on your side, you can rest assured that you will have the best possible chance of obtaining the financial compensation you require to recover and move forward with your life. No matter the type or extent of injury you have suffered, you deserve to be compensated for an accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence.
Contact us today at (423) 536-6220 to learn how we can help you. We offer free consultations and will review your case confidentially.