Riding a motorcycle can be an exhilarating and fun experience, but it is also inherently more dangerous than driving a car, given the safety features it lacks. That does not mean you have to forego the joy of riding this iconic mode of transportation. Instead, you can familiarize yourself with some safety precautions that can help you avoid some of the most common accidents motorcyclists face. Informing yourself is the first step to improving your safety on the road, so before you gear up for your next ride, take a look at the following tips for avoiding the most common accidents:
1. A car turns left in front of you: Drivers should be looking out for motorcyclists, but you really cannot bet on it, especially given how frequently accidents happen. If a driver misjudges your speed or straight-up fails to see you, and turns in front of you, this can cause a terrible accident. To avoid this from happening to you, it is crucial to develop a greater sense of awareness. Look for signs which might indicate a driver might turn in front of you and react accordingly. Drivers, unfortunately, do not always use their turn signals, so you might also have to look at their wheels to anticipate what their next move might be. You will also have to be aware of any routes of escape to avoid any major threats.
2. Hitting gravel on a blind corner: Motorcyclists often get lost in the moment of riding the twists and turns of a winding road and suddenly round a corner and hit a patch of sand, leaves, or other obstruction that might lead to a wipe-out. This is a preventable accident. Simply ride at a pace that allows you sufficient reaction time to allow you to see any obstructions that might be ahead of you.
3. Entering a corner too quickly: This is another avoidable accident. A good rule of thumb to avoid it is by riding only as fast as you can see. Look for visual clues on the road that might indicate when the road is changing direction.
4. A car changes into your lane: It happens all the time. Motorcyclists are riding along when a car suddenly attempts to change lanes right into that occupied space. The fact is that motorcycles are small and drivers often make the mistake of only looking out for other cars on the road, which tends to cause accidents. To keep this from happening to you, build an awareness of blind spots and be sure to stay out of them or spend as little time in them as possible.
5. Your bike gets hit from behind: Fender benders between cars are usually not too big a deal, but when it involves a motorcycle, this seemingly minor accident can potentially be fatal. Try to use cars as a crumple zone by pulling in front of a single car stopped at a multi-lane stoplight, or between a line of cars.
6. You get hit by an open car door: This is another immensely common accident that occurs. It happens when a motorcyclist drives between a line of active traffic and a line of parked cars. Suddenly, someone who is not paying attention swings open a door and you get whacked by it. To prevent this from happening, never ride between an active traffic lane and parked cars. You might get hit by an open door or even hit a pedestrian who might unexpectedly step out.
7. Slippery roads: Drivers and riders alike often panic when rain starts to fall. Assuming you have decent tires on your bike, there is nothing to worry about as long as you are driving safely. Motorcycles can perform surprisingly well in wet and snow conditions. All you have to do is slow your pace and smoothly operate the controls. Reducing your speed will compensate for possible visibility problems, allowing you to react to any obstructions on the road in a timely manner.
Morristown Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Motorcyclists are some of the most vulnerable motorists on the road due to how exposed they are. Even the most minor accident can be fatal, though many are often not at fault. If you were involved in a motorcycle accident and suffered serious injuries, you will need to obtain skilled and competent legal representation to fight for your rights and ensure the fair and just monetary compensation you need and deserve.
At The Terry Law Firm, our Morristown personal injury attorneys will stand up for your interests. Our legal team handles bike injury claims and other motor vehicle accident cases throughout East Tennessee. You should not be burdened by the financial costs associated with an injury occurred due to someone else’s negligence.
Get started on your case and contact our office today at (423) 536-6220 to schedule a free consultation with a trusted member of our team.